Monday, January 24

The Borrowers at the Arden Theater: Final Week!

I know, you don't have much time left, and you probably have a busy week.  I wish we'd seen it earlier in the run so we could've shared it earlier.  But we went to see it last weekend, and it was a wonderful show.  Definitely try to fit it in if you can!

I took my 11, 7, 5 & 3 year olds to see it, and we all loved it.  The story is very compelling... based on a family of little people who live beneath the floorboards of humans.  The acting was wonderful.  We were SO excited to see Steve Pacek (from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie) back!  He is a brilliant comedic and physical actor who my kids just adore.  My eleven year old appreciated the tween angst plotline, my seven year old loved the story of the little people and the clever way it was staged, my five year old thought it was exciting and funny, and my three year old (in the midst of what I hope will be a short-lived princess phase) deemed Arietty pretty enough to be a princess.  That is the highest compliment said three year old can bestow.

I genuinely appreciated the racial diversity of the cast and the Arden's masterful experimentation in playing with size.  I won't give away how they did it, because I enjoyed the surprises.  I love how the Arden has the actors invite audience questions after the production and also allows you to meet the actors themselves after the show.  This was our second show at the Arden, and we can't wait for the next one! (The Flea and The Professor, coming May 4!)

Here are our kid-written (or kid-dictated) reviews:

11 Year Old Review:
The Borrowers was a funny and exciting play even though it can be scary, it is kid-friendly. There are mean characters and nice ones. This play is at the Arden Theatre which has many kid friendly shows. The main characters are very small and live in a big world with us humans. They don’t have that many household items so they have to borrow things from the doll house upstairs. I don’t want to tell you more because i will give away the whole show!
7 Year Old Review:
Going to the Borrowers play was awesome!  It was awesome because I liked the characters, the scenes, the voices, the commotion, and the play.
Here are the characters names:
Arietty
Mom
Dad (also Pod)
Mrs. Driver
The Boy
Spiller
The Gardener 
Aunt Lupy

Those are the characters.
They also put shadows at the top of the stage to make it look more real.  I like the part were they showed the running shadows.  I think the 7 year olds will think its really funny. I think the 11 year olds will think its like sort of funny.  I also think the 3 and 4 year olds will think its very funny.
5 Year Old Review:
“Spiller was so funny.  I laughed and laughed. He was funny and silly.  I liked his funny voice.  The big screwdriver was so cool.”
3 Year Old Review: 
“Arietty was so pretty and she was brave.”  



No comments: